About Nutrition & naturopathy
1. Is there any proof it works?
There is much biochemical medical research* out there that illustrates the beneficial effect of nutritional therapies and naturopathic treatments. I take an individual view but operate upon the basic premise that the natural state of the human body is wellness. If we actively remove the burdens from the body it will rebalance into a state of good health.
* Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine Murray & Pizzorno 2012 3rd edition
* Optimal Wellness Golan 1995
* Nutrition Almanac Kirschman 2006
* The Natural Pharmacy Lininger1998
* 100% Health Holford 2005
* The Optimum Nutrition Bible Holford 2004
2. Is it safe?
There appears to be little risk to supplement users of experiencing adverse side effects due to excessive intakes of micronutrients*. What may be more worrying is the consideration that out of the 783,936 annual deaths from conventional medicine mistakes, approximately 106,000 of those are the result of prescription drug use. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, two-hundred and ninety people in the United States are killed by prescription drugs every day.**
* (M Kiely et al; The efficacyand safety of nutritional supplement use in a representative sample of adults in the North
* South Ireland Food Consumption Survey. Public Health Nutrition / Volume 4 / Issue 5a / October 2001, pp 1089-1097
** Starfield, B. (2000). The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Vol 284, No 4. Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health
3. Are nutritional and/or naturopathic treatments compatible with prescription drugs?
Not always. Details of any medication you are taking will be noted and carefully considered. As a qualified nutritionist I ensure that I remain fully informed and up-to-date with drug/nutrient interactions. I work with clients who are taking prescription medications. Naturopathic treatments & strategies can often support the individual by helping to alleviate unwelcome side effects and thus complement the efficacy of orthodox medical treatment. Please note that you should never change your prescription medication or doses thereof without first consulting your GP or medical practitioner.
4. Can children benefit from nutritional therapies and naturopathic treatments?
As a qualified nutritionist I have had lots of experience in treating children with health issues. They generally respond extremely positively to nutritional therapies, naturopathic treatments and, where appropriate, the use of supplements. Nutrition is well-known to support positive change in autistic children* for instance. It is also a helpful choice for parents who wish to avoid the side effects of prescription drugs and medications. Please note that if I consider it in the best interests of a child in my care I will always refer you to your nearest GP or medical practitioner.
* Finegold FM et al: Gastrointestinal microflora studies in late onset autism. Clin Infect Dis 2002 September 1;35 ( Supp 1) S6-S16.
* Bent S et al : A poilet randoomised controlled trial of omea 3 fats for autism spectrum disorder. J. Autism Dev Disord 2011 may;41(5) 545-54.
* Mousain-Bosc et al: Improvement of neurobehavioural disorders in children supplemented with magnesium-vitamin B6.II. Pervasive developmental disorder –autism. Magnes Res 2006 Mar;19(1)53-62.
5. Can nutrition help the elderly?
Absolutely, yes! As an elderly person you might find you need more support and help to stay healthy and energetic. You may discover you are no longer absorbing the nutrients in your food and become undernourished. A qualified nutritionist will know how to help in this situation and can advise as to which nutritional therapies, naturopathic treatments and supplements may help with symptoms.
6. Can pregnant women use nutrition and naturopathy?
Yes. Naturopathy and nutrition are non-toxic, non-invasive and non-violent. They are extremely beneficial during pregnancy and breast-feeding. It is important to eat as well as possible during pregnancy. As a qualified nutritionist I can also advise on the benefits and/or precautions of taking certain supplements during pregnancy.